Thursday, June 10, 2010

She's only 3!

A fun story I wanted to remember, so I am posting it here. We went to Target to find the girls a pair of dress sandals for the summer. We got to the shoe section and of course the girls went nuts looking at all the sandals and trying them on. I was busy looking and letting them do their thing while I looked for what I wanted. Avery came across a pair of white sandals that had little heels and she immediatly said "Mom, these are so cute. I want these high heel ones." (And of course she looked until she found a pair in her size~that's what I get for teaching her how to find her size!) Anyways, I took a look at them and thought no way. Those are not practical and I wasn't even sure they were safe. What 3 year old needs to be running around in high heels. That is just asking for an ankle injury and lots of tumbles to the ground. So I said yeah those are cute and kept looking. I found a cute little pair of flat sandals that I thought were perfect for her. She tried on the ones I liked and they fit her just fine. So, the flats it was. But, Avery insisted on "holding" the high heels and I let her~not thinking anything of it. We continued to shop and she put the high heels in the cart.
When we got to the check out I bought the practical sandals and quickly handed the high heels to the cashier and told her we didn't want them. Avery did not seem to notice this, so off we went home with our purchases. She didn't mention a thing about the high heels until about an hour after we got home. I was busy doing something and she came up to me with tears in her eyes and very matter of factly told me "Mom, when we put high heels in the cart you are supposed to pay the lady our money and she will put them in the bag for us to take home. You aren't suppose to just give them back to her!" And then the tears started flowing. Oh how she wanted those high heels. Our precious little Aves heart was broken because she couldn't have the high heels and mean old Mom just gave them back to the lady. It was so cute and I couldn't help but smile. I thought that she was totally oblivious to the fact that I gave them back and thought for sure she would forget about them. Not so much, the girls needs her high heels!!
Later that day after the drama died down I put the sandals that I bought for her on her and let her walk around the house in them for awhile to be sure they fit her well.
Turns out they were a bit too tight and left marks on her feet. So, those had to go back. I was out later that night and returned the flats and couldn't help but buy her the high heels instead. Oh what we do for our kids. So, I brought them home and gave them to her. She was the happiest kid on the planet. She put them on and wore them every minute we were home for the next few days. First thing in the morning she would ask to put her high heels on and wears them all day.


She even asked me to take a pic of her "pretty high heels" one morning while she was still in her jammies. Maybe I am a push over, but they sure are cute and the smile on her face every time she sees them is worth it. I am a bit nervous about the future though.... already at 3 she is insisting on high heels, and they make her feel pretty. Maybe there is a girly girl in there somewhere?!